Facebook Pixel

Most Frequently Asked Questions

The team at Marshall Injury Law is happy to answer any questions you may have.

General Questions

What does "Full Coverage" really mean?

I find the vast majority of my clients do not have a full understanding of what Full Coverage" means. Many assume that "full" means "all" available coverages. It typically does not. "Full Coverage" has become a term of art and most often simply means that you have the minimum automobile coverage mandated by your State (i.e. you are "fully" covered to legally drive within your State). In Nevada, you are required to carry $25,000.00 per person and $50,000.00 per incident to drive on Nevada roads. This is often referred to a "Liability Only" (where your insurance will cover damages to the other vehicle but not your own). In actuality "Full Coverage" includes medical payment coverage, underinsured motorist coverage and uninsured motorist coverage (you can also add small upgrades to your policy as available by your insurance company). If you have questions about how to better protect you and your loved ones with true "Full Coverage", contact me for a free consultation.

What are the benefits of hiring a lawyer after an accident?

Simply put, you don't know what you don't know. In the hours and days following an accident there is a great deal of information to process: who do I call? Do I need the police? How do I get my car fixed? Who is going to pay for my car? How do I get them to pay for my car? How do I get a rental? Am I injured? Should I see a doctor? Who will pay for the doctor? What if I miss work? What happens to my insurance? Should I use my insurance? Insurance companies have trained professionals, experts, doctors and lawyers standing at their side the moment you call following an accident. You need to have someone on your side that is protecting your interests, answering your questions, taking the weight off your shoulders and helping you get back onto the road to recovery. That is our promise to you as our client at Marshall Injury Law.

Do I have to have a police officer come to the scene of an accident?

Nevada law requires those involved in an automobile accident to notify the police if it involves injury or death. Good practice is to always call the police and have them investigate the accident. They are trained to investigate accidents and you will receive a report containing all the necessary information pertaining to the accident. In the event the parties agree to "exchange information", make sure you get a copy of the adverse driver's license, insurance card (verify that is not expired), registration and a picture of the license plate of the other vehicle. This would remain true for each vehicle and driver that was involved in the accident. It is also good to take pictures of the location of the vehicles following the accident, while still at the scene, if it is safe to do so. This will provide the best documentation of the scene immediately following an accident. We at Marshall Injury Law are on standby when you need us the most. Call us and we can help.

Vehicle Accident | Learn More

What type of compensation can I receive if I've been in a vehicle crash?

If you've been injured in a vehicle collision, you could be entitled to compensation that could cover medical expenses, loss of wages, future medical costs and more.

If I have been injured in a vehicle crash, but have car insurance would I still need a lawyer?

The short answer is yes. While your insurance would cover some of your car-related bills, with an attorney we'll work to get you not only compensation but the care that you need to recover from your injuries.

I was recently injured in a car wreck, what should I do?

First of all, schedule a free consultation with an attorney to evaluate your case. We'll gather all of the information that we need and get you on the path to recovery.

Slip and Fall | Learn More

How do you prove fault in a slip and fall case?

That can be the difficult part. Proving the property owner responsible for the injuries sustained by the victim can be a daunting task. In a slip & fall case, we must prove that the negligence of the property owner caused the injury. Our goal is to prove that the victim was injured because the hazardous conditions that caused the slip & fall were avoidable, but not eliminated. It's vital to contact an attorney as soon as possible after a slip and fall case!

What should I do if I've been injured in a slip and fall accident?

If you've been injured due to a slip and fall, it's vital to record any pertinent information about what occurred. If this happens to you, follow these steps to help strengthen the validity of your case:

  • Seek medical attention as soon as possible so all injuries can be put on record
  • Report the accident to the property owner or anyone who would be able to take your claim
  • Document and record everything that you can about the situation:
    • EXACTLY where the injury occurred o Information from any witnesses
    • Photographs of the scene and anything that can specifically show the danger of the situation or what could have caused the accident
    • Time & date of injury
    • Full timeline of the accident- write this down as soon as possible so all information is accurate and no details are left out
  • Call the attorneys at Marshall Injury Law!

If the injury happened in the past, am I still able to build a case?

In Nevada, a slip and fall case must be presented to the party at fault within two years, so time should not be wasted. If you have suffered injuries and require compensation, we urge you to contact an attorney immediately so we can begin gathering all of the details and get you any additional medical attention that you might require. The clock is ticking, but we want to help!

What type of injuries can be present after a slip and fall?

Not all slip and fall injuries are the same, but the most common are:

  • Traumatic brain injury or head injury
  • Broken or bruised bones
  • Sprains
  • Spine injuries
  • Neck injuries & more
What type of property owner could be held responsible for a slip and fall?
  • Homeowners
  • Hotel operators
  • Restaurants
  • Retail operators
  • Entertainment spaces such as bars and clubs
If a slip and fall injury occurred at my place of work, am I still eligible for compensation?

Yes, you could still be eligible for compensation depending on your case and the situation. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has guidelines that are to be followed in any workplace to prevent this type of injury. If these guidelines were not followed and they caused an injury or there was any sort of negligence involved, we can help build a case to get you the compensation that you deserve for your injuries.

Wrongful Death | Learn More

What is a wrongful death?

According to Nevada law (NRS 41.085), wrongful death is defined as:

"When the death of any person, whether or not a minor, is caused by the wrongful act or neglect of another, the heirs of the decedent and the personal representatives of the decedent may each maintain an action for damages against the person who caused the death, or if the wrongdoer is dead, against the wrongdoer's personal representatives, whether the wrongdoer died before or after the death of the person injured by the wrongdoer. If any other person is responsible for the wrongful act or neglect, or if the wrongdoer is employed by another person who is responsible for the wrongdoer's conduct, the action may be maintained against that other person, or if the other person is dead, against the other person's personal representatives."

What are some examples of a wrongful death case?
  • Automobile or airplane crashes resulting in untimely death of passengers
  • If medical malpractice occurred resulting in the death of a patient
  • A car crash that resulted in death due to negligence
  • Product liability cases such as defective drugs, defective auto parts, or defective parts that resulted in death
  • Nursing home neglect
What are the types of damages that can be claimed in a wrongful death case?
  • Cost of medical treatment for the deceased
  • Funeral costs
  • Loss of expected income
  • Loss of inheritance
  • Pain and suffering & more
Who can file a claim for wrongful death?

Wrongful death claims are typically filed by someone representing the "estate" of the deceased. This could be a spouse, legal guardian/parent, financial dependents such as children, extended family (such as grandparents) depending on the relationship and the situation surrounding the claim. All of this can vary state by state as well as circumstance.

How many wrongful deaths occur in the United States each year?

Unfortunately, this number is all too high each year in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), unintentional injury deaths are the third leading cause of death in the United States. In 2017, 169,936 unintentional injury deaths occurred. Of those the top three leading causes of unintentional injury deaths were:

  • 36,338 unintentional fall deaths
  • 40,231 motor vehicle traffic deaths
  • 64,795 unintentional poisoning deaths
If a death occurred due to workplace negligence, would it still be eligible for a wrongful death claim?

In the state of Nevada, wrongful death claims for those that occurred at a place of work are handled through the state due to workers compensation laws. If you're in need of guidance when it comes to worker's compensation cases, we can help. Contact us today and we can evaluate your claim.

When should I contact an attorney if I want to file a wrongful death claim?

It is pertinent to begin the process of filing a wrongful death claim as soon as possible. In Nevada, the statute of limitation for wrongful death is two years and if time has passed it's important to compile your case now. If a claim is not filed within this two year window, it could be detrimental for the outcome. Our experienced attorneys are here to answer any questions that you could have about wrongful death claims. Contact us today at (702) 489-5700 for a free consultation.

Animal Attack | Learn More

What are the most common types of animal attacks?

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), dog bites are the most common type of animal attack. Around 4.7 million dog bites occur each year. Of those 4.7 million, 800,000 dog bites are serious enough to require medical attention. On average, 92% of fatal dog bite cases are caused by a male dog and 94% of those male dogs were not neutered.

Who is held responsible in an animal attack case?

If negligence is proven, the animal's owner can be held liable for its actions. While though are no specific laws that about who would be held as the responsible party if an animal attack occurs, there are ways to determine if the animal was at fault. There are many factors that are weighed when dealing with an animal attack, but our attorneys can help compile all of the information surrounding your injuries to put together an impactful case.

If I was injured by a dog bite in the past, am I still able to make a claim?

As long as the claim is filed within two years of the accident occurring, yes. Nevada's statute of limitations requires that any claim should be filed in this time frame or you cannot pursue legal action. It's important to contact an attorney straight away if you think that you could have a case. Call us today at (702) 489-5700 to set up a free consultation.

Bicycle Crash | Learn More

What should I do if I've been injured in a cycling accident?

If you've been struck by an automobile, it's important to follow these steps right away:

  • Move to a safe location (leave your bicycle where it was on the roadway)
  • Get the license plate number of the car involved
  • Call the police
  • Obtain the driver's insurance information
  • Obtain the driver's license information
  • Take pictures of the scene (including the damaged bicycle, roadway, injuries, insurance information of the adverse driver, driver's license of adverse driver, etc.).
  • Obtain a police report if possible
What are some possible injuries that could result from being involved in a bike crash?

There are multiple types of injuries that could be sustained, but some of them include:

  • Concussions
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Head injury
  • Broken bones
  • Neck injury
  • TBI (traumatic brain injury)
  • Back injury
  • Schedule a Free Consultation
    with Eric Marshall

    Contact us today and learn how Marshall Injury Law will fight for you and your rights.

    Eric Marshall personally handles all consultations.